Build a Blog Workshop @ ODCE 2005

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Planning for Neomillennial Learning Styles

EDUCAUSE Quarterly | Volume 28 Number 1 2005

Planning for Neomillennial Learning StylesShifts in students’ learning style will prompt a shift to active construction of knowledge through mediated immersion

The notion of multithreaded nonlinear communication was something we talked about at the workshop, together with the challenge of designing for that environment. This article discusses wireless mobile devices (WMDs) and massive multiplayer online environments (MMOs), and augmented reality, pointing to something the authors call "mediated immersion". I haven't delved into their conclusions yet, but the article looks worth reading.

UPDATE 3/22:

I've finished the article, and I'm rather disappointed. It nets out to a little unsubstantiated speculation about the potential effects of emerging technology and a suggestion to think more about it. This is the second article from a major university in a month that looked like it was going to be something important and turned out to be fluff.

1 Comments:

  • I know I'm in the minority here, but I wonder about the "millenials." I was in the GenX group, and I heard a lot about the GenX characteristics, like the fact that we expect things to be handed to us, the fact that we're visual learners, and that we will be perfectly content to live in our parents' basements and playing video games. None of this was true about me or anyone that I knew at the time. I'm a visual-verbal learner who hates most video games (the motion nauseates me),and I"ve been on my own ever since college graduation. This is just one counterexample.

    I think that when we try to label anyone this way, our students or anyone else, we run the risk of ignoring the individual differences among our students. I personally find it insulting when someone says, "Oh, you think or learn that way becauser you're an Xer." I'm a person, not a label, and while I think these generalities about generations of people can be useful, we mustn't lose sight of the fact that each of our classes is full of individuas that may or may not fit these stereotypes.

    By Blogger Laura, at 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home